Can I remove ATL+A shortcut when editing page? It conflicts with writing "ą" in Polish

Hello!

I was trying to disable the ALT+A shortcut when editing a page in WYSIWYG mode (CK Editor). ALT+A is “ą” in Polish and also “select all”. It’s really annoying, if you don’t watch what you write then you select all and overwrite your text.

I was asking CK Editor guys on their website about the solution but they told me it’s a XWiki problem. Their temporary solution didn’t worked either (disabling both ALT and CTRL).

How can I solve this issue?

1 Like

It’s not an XWiki problem either. It’s a Firefox issue. You need to find how to disable or modify this shortcut key in Firefox.

I see. I’m using Chrome and it works fine - for example - in this window. XWiki is the only spot where I have this problem. Is there a way to disable all key shortcuts during editing?

Are you saying that pressing Alt+A in Chrome selects all the text? Not in my case: I have Chrome 63 on Ubuntu. Alt+A selects all the text only in Firefox for me.

Wow, so what could that be? I’m not sure how to solve it.

Note that even with Firefox I can add diacritics (from the Romanian language though) using the Alt key from the right side of the keyboard. For instance Right Alt + A prints ă when I have the Romanian keyboard layout selected. This works in CKEditor too. Can you check both the left and right Alt keys to see if there is any difference?

Right ALT makes both “ą” and “Select all”. Left ALT makes nothing :frowning:

I’ve asked my friend that has Win10 PL to check that problem and he can do “ą” with no problems. I have Win7 ENG with Polish keyboard and my Chrome is in English - maybe the problem is there somehow…?

Okay, I have both Windows and Chrome in Polish and the problem still appears. I asked few more that use our wiki and it works for them :frowning:

1 Like

Okay, I’ve checked IE and it worked fine. I’ve reinstalled Chrome and it works fine too. Weird but solved, thanks Marius for helping and for great XWiki! :slight_smile: