Bundle the realtime WYSIWYG editor in XWiki Standard, disabled by default

Hi everyone,

Now that the AGPL licensing issue has been fixed (XWIKI-21575) and the realtime WYSIWYG editor has been refactored to work with the In-place edit mode (our default edit mode for existing plain wiki pages), see XWIKI-19157, I propose we bundle it in XS, disabled by default. This would make it easier for users to test it and give us feedback. Note that it’s not production ready yet, but we’re actively working on it. In order to enable realtime edit for the WYSIWYG editor the administrator has to simply enable the xwiki-realtime CKEditor plugin from the CKEditor administration section.

+1 on my side.

Thanks,
Marius

1 Like

it’s still open :slight_smile:

woohoo, cool! Note that the issue is also still open.

+1 to bundle, disabled by default.

Re activation, this looks slightly technical (but ok for now). Couldn’t we have an Admin UI checkbox for it, to enable it or the ability to choose the editor to use (in “DEFAULT WYSIWYG EDITOR” at http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/admin/XWiki/XWikiPreferences?editor=globaladmin&section=WYSIWYG for example)?

What you mentioned will activate the realtime WYSIWYG but not the realtime wiki editor, will it? How do users activate the realtime wiki editor? Are you not planning to bundle it by default too? (I thought it was more stable than the WYSIWYG one but maybe that’s changed now).

Thx

Check the Development (Commits) pane. The work is done on a branch which includes also the changes needed to bundle. I’m going to merge this branch on master if no one is against it.

From the point of view of the WYSIWYG editor support for realtime editing is a feature implemented as a CKEditor plugin (xwiki-realtime), same as support for rendering macros is a feature implemented as a CKEditor plugin (xwiki-macro). The CKEditor administration section doesn’t provide dedicated configuration options to disable say the new Image plugin, or the office import. It provides a generic way to disable any of the available CKEditor plugins. Enabling realtime wouldn’t be different from enabling support for changing the text color or font. These are also provided by CKEditor plugins that are disabled by default (but for other reasons).

The realtime WYSIWYG editor is not a different editor. It’s just an enhancement of the existing CKEditor editor. Seeing it as a different editor creates confusion IMO, and it adds complexity at the implementation level, especially with regard to the In-place edit mode (where the editor is destroyed and reloaded multiple times without reloading the page, and it’s easier to be a plugin, that gets destroyed and reloaded automatically, than to write / duplicate code that handles the reloading of the “Realtime WYSIWYG Editor”).

I’ll open a separate vote for the Wiki editor, but ATM we’re missing an administration UI to enable/disable the realtime wiki editor (you currently need to add some xobjects).

Thanks,
Marius

+1

+1

+1

Thanks,
Alex

+1, thank you!

Thank you all. I pushed my changes to master.

1 Like