XWiki 11.2.x failure to deploy on Wildfly 14.0.1 - Weld Problems on upgraded 3rd party dependencies?

Hello XWiki Team,

I’m trying to deploy a clean fresh new cloned built-from-sources XWiki 11.2.1 into Wildfly 14.0.1 and things are not getting to work. I didn’t set anything else other than xwiki.cfg and hibernate configs.

I’ve searched everywhere on the forums and web and followed the instructions on https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/InstallationWAR/InstallationJBoss/, related to the jboss-all.xml file (tested both with and without it), but no success.

I’m getting the following warnings and the deploy error :

WARN [org.jboss.as.jaxrs] (MSC service thread 1-3) WFLYRS0018: Explicit usage of Jackson annotation in a JAX-RS deployment; the system will disable JSON-B processing for the current deployment. Consider setting the ‘resteasy.preferJacksonOverJsonB’ property to ‘false’ to restore JSON-B.
WARN [org.jboss.as.jaxrs] (MSC service thread 1-3) WFLYRS0015: No Servlet declaration found for JAX-RS application. In xwiki-platform-distribution-war-11.2.1-SNAPSHOT.war either provide a class that extends javax.ws.rs.core.Application or declare a servlet class in web.xml.

WARN [org.jboss.weld.deployer] (MSC service thread 1-3) WFLYWELD0013: Deployment xwiki-platform-distribution-war-11.2.1-SNAPSHOT.war contains CDI annotations but no bean archive was found (no beans.xml or class with bean defining annotations was present).

WARN [org.jboss.modules.define] (External Management Request Threads – 1) Failed to define class org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.web.resources.UserProvider in Module “deployment.xwiki-platform-distribution-war-11.2.1-SNAPSHOT.war” from Service Module Loader: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Failed to link org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/web/resources/UserProvider (Module “deployment.xwiki-platform-distribution-war-11.2.1-SNAPSHOT.war” from Service Module Loader): com/sun/jersey/spi/inject/InjectableProvider

ERROR [org.jboss.as.controller.management-operation] (External Management Request Threads – 1) WFLYCTL0013: Operation (“read-attribute”) failed - address: ([
(“deployment” => “xwiki-platform-distribution-war-11.2.1-SNAPSHOT.war”),
(“subsystem” => “jaxrs”),
(“rest-resource” => “org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.rest.WikisSearchQueryResourceImpl”)
]): java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Failed to link org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/web/resources/UserProvider (Module “deployment.xwiki-platform-distribution-war-11.2.1-SNAPSHOT.war” from Service Module Loader): com/sun/jersey/spi/inject/InjectableProvider

I could manage to successfully deploy the latest 10.11.x stable version on this same server instance. Does this error have anything related to the dependency upgrades made on the 11.x cicle (as stated on the release notes), regarding new Jackson lib and others? How can I proceed?

Thanks in advance for your precious help.

Best Regards,
Ramon Brandão

As “SNAPSHOT” suggest this is not a released version, are you really sure that’s what you want to do ? This is generally not a good idea.

Note that we don’t test on Wildfly since we can’t test on all servlet containers and it’s not one we support in the xwiki dev team. XWiki will work on any servlet container of course but you may need to use the right configuration since servlet container have the bad habit of NOT isolating the webapp from the jars that the provide. I never understood why they’re not doing that but this is the main cause of problems.

Maybe this can help: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37552080/hadoop-jersey-and-jboss-application-wont-start