Upgrade failure when upgrading from 11.5 to 11.6 on Debian 8.11 (SOLVED)

Hi out there,

first of all: XWiki is great work and one of the best free applications I have used in the last decade!

When I try to upgrade 11.5 to 11.6 I encounter a strange Problem. The setup wizard does not come up when logging in after the upgrade.

The seems to be empty. Even the Administer Wiki button is missing.

Any suggestions ?

Ciao
Matze

1 Like

Are you upgrading using the Debian packages ?

The seems to be empty.

What is ?

Any error in the log ?

Empty means there is the title bar, the footer and in the upper right corner a menu that contains only the title of the Wiki.

During the installation process no error was shown.
catalina.out log is attached.

catalina.out.log (252.9 KB)

Empty means there is the title bar, the footer and in the upper right corner a menu that contains only the title of the Wiki.

Sounds like a new database. You should probably take a look at hibernate.cfg.xml and xwiki.cfg since it does not seems to point to the right DB.

Side note: you solr index is not in a great shape, seems it’s using an old schema. There was a major upgrade in 11.4 that required to delete the solr index and let XWiki recreate it. If you are using the Debian packages the folder to delete is /var/lib/xwiki/data/solr (then restart).

The log shows some:

org.xwiki.extension.InstallException: Failed to initialize extension [org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-watchlist-api/11.1]

followed by:

Caused by: org.xwiki.extension.InstallException: Failed to load jar file components

This is for both org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-watchlist-api/11.1 and org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-watchlist-api/11.3

That does not look good, though I cannot think what is causing this.

Removing the solr index seems to me a good idea, too, if only to reduce the number of messages in the log. (Maybe make a backup first, in case you decide to downgrade :wink: )

The database settings were OK, but deleting solr folder seems to do the trick. After removing the folder and starting tomcat8 the Installation wizzard comes up and upgrade starts to work.

As always … thanks a lot !

Glad you found the issue. We really need to automate the handling of SOLR schema breaking changes…

Yes this would be great !

Hello - I have the same issues upgrading from 11.5 to 11.7 on ubuntu using the debian packages - I’m not sure which folder I should delete.

Any pointers?

Hi,

Do we have a jira about this? What about simply deleting the SOLR files in a migration?

That should be the folder /var/lib/xwiki/data/solr. Cautions people just move away the folder instead of removing … but normally this is not necessary.
Hint taken from this troubleshooting advice:

https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/InstallationViaAPT/#HXWikiwon27tstartandIgetSolrrelatederror28s29inthelog

Yes that’s https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-13639.

Thanks, that’s even an issue I created :wink: