New extension: Recently Modified Pages

Hello.

After a discussion with a user, I’ve created a little application quickly. It’s aim is to provide a quick access to the recently modified pages (and only pages), with the ability to filter on locations.

It could be seen as a little and very simple alternative to the Activity Stream, that we will rewrite soon, or to the Notifications.

I’ve released it to have some feedbacks, and to see how we could improve the default XWiki interface with such ideas.

So the idea is that you have a new entry on the drawer:
Drawer

And then you could see a livetable of all pages (like the Page Index), but sorted by dates by default.
Modified

You could also see the last created pages (which may be different from modified ones):
Created

Or the last deleted pages (same as in the Page Index):
Deleted

This is not very polished (no translation are available yet), but you could test it and give feedbacks.

You can download it there or install it via Extension Manager (the proper way).

Thanks you and have a good evening,

Guillaume

Cool idea @gdelhumeau!

Some feedback:

• It doesn’t seem very different from Page Index (Main.AllDocs). Do you see some important difference?
  • How do you handle several modifications to the same page? One entry in the LT or several entries?
  • I would have used a single LT but with an “Operation Type” column which can be “Created”, “Modifed”, “Deleted”. This make is simpler to have a global overview while still being able to filter.
  • I’d provide an Action column with a “Diff” button showing the diff for faster access
  • UI Improvement: avatar of the user having made the change

Thanks

It’s very similar indeed. I have even taken some code from it. The main difference is that it is sorted by dates by default, so it takes less clicks to see.

It’s not about events, but about pages. And it’s not a stream, but a list. So if the page is modified twice, you will see it only once, with the date of the last modifications.

That’s more the idea of the activity stream revamp that we would like to see happening in a near future :slight_smile:

Not that simple, because you cannot know easily from which version you want to generate the diff. Remember that the document could have been modified more than once and the list is the same for all users (no previous dates are stored for each user between visits)

Why not :slight_smile:

Thanks !

Guillaume

But it’s a good idea anyway :slight_smile:

BTW I think it would make a lot of sense to have the Page Index sorted by date by default.

1 Like

Yes, I thought you were using the AS data. This works only in this case.

Actually we should do that for the Page Index by default:
https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-14784

(A good GCI task btw ;))

Moreover, going to “Page Index” to see what are the last modified pages is not very natural for users. That is what @oseres explained me after having presented XWiki to potential users.

Now, maybe we should rename Page Index to “Recent (Modified?) Pages” and sort them by dates by default, WDYT?

I’m not sure that we can rename it since Page Index is not only about recently modified pages.

Now as I said, I definitely agree that we should sort Page Index by date. Right now it’s in the order of the DB I think but that’s not good.