Failed to execute the [velocity] macro. Cause: [The execution of the [velocity] script macro is not allowed

A client deleted a user that happened to be an admin…now pretty much everything is getting this error. I can’t go over to administer wiki etc without an error. Is there a way to put this user back in as admin?

Ok…steps I have done:

1. Was able to navigate to the deleted user page and restore.

2. Added admin rights to that user.

3. Restarted xwiki

–still getting this error when I go to administer wiki…and I am using the superadmin account

org.xwiki.rendering.macro.MacroExecutionException: The execution of the [velocity] script macro is not allowed. Check the rights of its last author or the parameters if it's rendered from another script.
	at org.xwiki.rendering.macro.script.AbstractScriptMacro.execute(AbstractScriptMacro.java:178)
	at org.xwiki.rendering.macro.script.AbstractScriptMacro.execute(AbstractScriptMacro.java:58)
	at org.xwiki.rendering.internal.transformation.macro.MacroTransformation.transform(MacroTransformation.java:297)
	at org.xwiki.rendering.internal.transformation.DefaultRenderingContext.transformInContext(DefaultRenderingContext.java:183)
	at org.xwiki.rendering.internal.transformation.DefaultTransformationManager.performTransformations(DefaultTransformationManager.java:101)
	at org.xwiki.display.internal.DocumentContentDisplayer.display(DocumentContentDisplayer.java:263)
	at org.xwiki.display.internal.DocumentContentDisplayer.display(DocumentContentDisplayer.java:133)
	at org.xwiki.display.internal.DocumentContentDisplayer.display(DocumentContentDisplayer.java:58)
	at org.xwiki.display.internal.DefaultDocumentDisplayer.display(DefaultDocumentDisplayer.java:96)
	at org.xwiki.display.internal.DefaultDocumentDisplayer.display(DefaultDocumentDisplayer.java:39)
	at org.xwiki.sheet.internal.SheetDocumentDisplayer.display(SheetDocumentDisplayer.java:245)
	at org.xwiki.sheet.internal.SheetDocumentDisplayer.applySheet(SheetDocumentDisplayer.java:225)
	at org.xwiki.sheet.internal.SheetDocumentDisplayer.maybeDisplayWithSheet(SheetDocumentDisplayer.java:180)
	at org.xwiki.sheet.internal.SheetDocumentDisplayer.display(SheetDocumentDisplayer.java:111)
	at org.xwiki.sheet.internal.SheetDocumentDisplayer.display(SheetDocumentDisplayer.java:52)
	at org.xwiki.display.internal.ConfiguredDocumentDisplayer.display(ConfiguredDocumentDisplayer.java:68)
	at org.xwiki.display.internal.ConfiguredDocumentDisplayer.display(ConfiguredDocumentDisplayer.java:42)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.script.display.DisplayScriptService.document(DisplayScriptService.java:143)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.script.display.DisplayScriptService.content(DisplayScriptService.java:206)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.script.display.DisplayScriptService.content(DisplayScriptService.java:165)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at org.apache.velocity.util.introspection.UberspectImpl$VelMethodImpl.doInvoke(UberspectImpl.java:395)
	at org.apache.velocity.util.introspection.UberspectImpl$VelMethodImpl.invoke(UberspectImpl.java:384)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.execute(ASTMethod.java:173)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.execute(ASTReference.java:280)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.render(ASTReference.java:369)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTBlock.render(ASTBlock.java:72)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTIfStatement.render(ASTIfStatement.java:87)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTBlock.render(ASTBlock.java:72)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.SimpleNode.render(SimpleNode.java:342)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTIfStatement.render(ASTIfStatement.java:106)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.SimpleNode.render(SimpleNode.java:342)
	at org.xwiki.velocity.internal.DefaultVelocityEngine.evaluateInternal(DefaultVelocityEngine.java:259)
	at org.xwiki.velocity.internal.DefaultVelocityEngine.evaluate(DefaultVelocityEngine.java:222)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.render.DefaultVelocityManager.evaluate(DefaultVelocityManager.java:358)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.internal.template.InternalTemplateManager.evaluateContent(InternalTemplateManager.java:884)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.internal.template.InternalTemplateManager.render(InternalTemplateManager.java:755)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.internal.template.InternalTemplateManager.lambda$renderFromSkin$0(InternalTemplateManager.java:730)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.internal.security.authorization.DefaultAuthorExecutor.call(DefaultAuthorExecutor.java:98)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.internal.template.InternalTemplateManager.renderFromSkin(InternalTemplateManager.java:729)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.internal.template.InternalTemplateManager.renderFromSkin(InternalTemplateManager.java:708)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.internal.template.InternalTemplateManager.render(InternalTemplateManager.java:694)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.internal.template.DefaultTemplateManager.render(DefaultTemplateManager.java:78)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.XWiki.evaluateTemplate(XWiki.java:2320)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.web.Utils.parseTemplate(Utils.java:179)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.web.XWikiAction.execute(XWikiAction.java:489)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.web.XWikiAction.execute(XWikiAction.java:210)
	at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:425)
	at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:228)
	at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1913)
	at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:449)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:634)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:741)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:231)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
	at com.xpn.xwiki.web.ActionFilter.doFilter(ActionFilter.java:112)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
	at org.xwiki.wysiwyg.filter.ConversionFilter.doFilter(ConversionFilter.java:109)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
	at org.xwiki.container.servlet.filters.internal.SetHTTPHeaderFilter.doFilter(SetHTTPHeaderFilter.java:63)
	at org.xwiki.container.servlet.filters.internal.SavedRequestRestorerFilter.doFilter(SavedRequestRestorerFilter.java:208)
	at org.xwiki.container.servlet.filters.internal.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:111)
	at org.xwiki.resource.servlet.RoutingFilter.doFilter(RoutingFilter.java:134)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:199)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:96)
	at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:528)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:139)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:81)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:678)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:87)
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:343)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:798)
	at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:66)
	at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:810)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1500)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Failed to execute the [velocity] macro. Cause: [The execution of the [velocity] script macro is not allowed. Check the rights of its last author or the parameters if it's rendered from another script.]. Click on this message for details.
Failed to execute the [velocity] macro. Cause: [The execution of the [velocity] script macro is not allowed. Check the rights of its last author or the parameters if it's rendered from another script.]. Click on this message for details.

Ok…I am just self solving thing don’t mind me haha. I noticed I did not add this user back to the admin group. Just trying to navigate to that page so I can add them. Any help on this?

Ok…figured out had to use object editor at the group level and add.

All is well in the universe. Can close

hi bdub,

I just upgraded from 11.10 to 12.1 and I am getting this error everywhere as well, and I have no idea why. I too am logged in as a superadmin.

Can you share the specifics on what you did?

Right now, most of the wiki is completely unusable.

From the stack trace above, it just means that some user saved pages in the wiki when he had the script right and then that user was either removed or lost its script rights. Thus all the page that this user had saved lost their script rights too. Hence the stack trace.

So what you need to do is:

• Find what user that was
  • Either restore that user if it was deleted or give it back script rights if it wasn’t deleted
  • OR transfer ownership to another user

Some extensions to help you:

Have a great weekend

PS: this is why the current user with which you’re logged in doesn’t matter.

PPS: for more info about script right, see https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Access%20Rights/Permission%20types/#HScriptRight

i’m still debugging this.

all i did was an ‘apt update’ then waited for the normal update process to complete.

i was using the ldap authentication extension to authenticate users but further investigation seems
to show that it is no longer loading anymore.

i suspect i’ll have to get ldap working again before anything is accessible, otherwise i’ll be looking at figuring out how to recover.

[edit] moved to here: https://forum.xwiki.org/t/upgrade-failure-caused-by-ldap-configuration-error-during-apt-update/6479 as it is no longer relevant to this topic.

let me move this to a new thread. ignore this one.

None of the above worked for me. I removed by mistake the Admin rights of the person who installed the top/parent XWiki and below which we have a dozen sub-wiki’s. All top wiki pages became scrambled with such error messages, and the adminitrator menu was no longer available. Sub-wiki’s continued to work, but any global admin facility unavailable. Stuck! … but restoring a previous day backup … or…
I found a way by a direct SQL access to the top xwiki tables in the database… and replaced all XWD_AUTHOR / XWD_CONTENT_AUTHOR / XWD_CREATOR values that pointed to the obsolete account in xwikidoc table by one of a still active global administrator. Same for XWR_AUTHOR in xwikircs. And then I also edited dumps of the xwikircs and xwikilargestrings whose data contents also contained references to the obsolete administrator account. Actually, using a bold sed command like: cat xwikircs_backup.sql | sed ‘s/XWiki.oldAdmin/XWiki.newAdmin/g’ >xwikircs_to_reload.sql, same for xwikilargestrings. Followed by a restart of the Xwiki server and … magic, recovered! This is definitely not clean, but it saved the day of the numerous sub-wiki’s editors.