Contributing for the Russian community

Colleagues, I have a thought (but not time :slight_smile: to promote the project of Xwiki for the Russian community.

Do I have an opportunity on your resource to do the following:

1. Translation and publication of your Xwiki user and administrator manuals in Russian.
  2. Publishing my own knowledge about XWiki.

I see it in the form of a structured Knowledge Base.
It is not supposed to complete the translation of all documents - this is not real! But significant - for sure!

Could this be: XWiki.org, Personal Subwiki or Blog?

Hi @safronovyua First I’d like to thank you for your nice comments in the testimonial page of XWiki, very appreciated! :slight_smile:

And also for you interest in participating, that’s great! Don’t hesitate to jump in our Matrix chat if you want to chat with the xwiki devs (see https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Chat ).

We discussed this in the past (having a multilingual xwiki.org site) and our issue is that we were worried that we would get someone who did some translation one time and that whenever the pages are updated in English they wouldn’t be updated in sync in the other languages, leading to outdated information. Thus we preferred to say that we support only 1 language but that it’s guaranteed to be up to date. WDYT?

Now regarding knowledge about XWiki, we would love if you could help us maintain and improve the doc pages on xwiki.org :slight_smile: That would be awesome, see also https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Contributing#HDocumentation.

If you’re interested in that, feel free to edit content. If you want to document something new (like write a new tutorial), I suggest you start it in the Draft area, see https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Contributing#HDocumentation

Now if you want to do something personal and not community, you can always do it in a personal wiki on myxwiki.org for example. Of course we would prefer if you could help us make the xwiki doc even nicer than it is currently :slight_smile:

Thanks for asking!

1 Like

You are deserve it!

Ok, sure!

I agree with you. I take a break for thought.

Got it. I can take part in this, but the problem is that I have installed XWiki with Russian UI, and writing manuals without pictures is not mine. The second problem (you mentioned it at the very beginning) - I have one version of XWiki installed, and your documentation already describes the new versions and their functionality, which may already differ from my version.

I want to try!
My wiki not be cleared daily?

Summary:
Thanks for the detailed answer. Now there is something to think about. I take a timeout for thought.

P.S.

And yet, the topic was with the emphasis on helping the Russian community. The goal is to promote your project in Russia, and this is primarily due to the language barrier (user interface and documentation, support, communication, etc.).

My nano history: of the year I was searching the Internet for a suitable wiki engine for work, I accidentally discovered your system. What was my chagrin when I found in the RU Internet zone just a few mentions and a couple of instructions. And in one article it was directly stated that the XWiki project has little information in Russia, which speaks of its low usage.

I think this is unfair to both XWiki and :ru: users!

No i’s not cleared, see the conditions on https://myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome

Ok then I think the best could be for you to start a Russian documentation wiki on myxwiki.org as a start and see where it leads you. If it starts to grow large and be successful, we could always try to convince some company (like XWiki SAS) to offer some professional hosting for it on XWiki Cloud. I’m sure they’d be agreeable to it since it promotes XWiki.

We could also link to it from xwiki.org somewhere.

WDYT?

Thanks for proposing this, it’s great! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help!

You are recommending correctly. OK.
I need to start experimenting with something.

For example, I have XWiki installation instructions on the Tomcat / Debian virtual machine build from Bitnami (could not attach the PDF). I draw your attention that this is a step-by-step instruction (from and to).
Do you want to know how much I wandered through your wiki-web of links to understand what type of installation I should choose, what additional products I need and in what order to put it all together, install and configure? :thinking: (a rhetorical question) :slight_smile:

Good luck to all of us!

1 Like