Configuration issue on Tomcat

Hi!
I am fairly new to this and need to learn a bit about Java apps and their deployment, so please bear with me…

My hosting provider offers Tomcat deployment. I extracted the war-file and uploaded it to my domain. Inpatient as I was, I immediately asked to deploy - naturally it could not start.
The logging message however only stated several “SEVERE” issues, and they mainly all sounded like this:
05-Jan-2020 06:36:07.654 SEVERE [ajp-nio-8009-exec-66] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.custom Custom error page [/WEB-INF/jsp/404.jsp] could not be dispatched correctly
The same thing for 401 ect.

I then proceeded to read the installation guide and I think I configured everything properly, I created a database and linked to it ect. Still the same kind of issue, no change in the error message too.

Where could the problem be?

Thanks for the help in advance,
Patrick

… just a shot in the dark: the war is uploaded as is and not extracted. Tomcat will deploy (extract) the war itself.

Or: https://xwiki.com/en/pricing/

Hi,

This error is not about XWiki AFAICS since XWiki doesn’t use any JSP :slight_smile:

It’s probably caused by some other WAR you have in your Tomcat’s webapp directory.

Thanks
-Vincent

Hi! thanks for the response - my hosting provider requires the war to be extracted.

WAR files

WAR files must be extracted in order to be deployed. E.g. the contents of test.war should be placed in a directory named test .

WAR stands for Web application ARchive .

also - thank you for your response.
I was also puzzled how it refers to a folder that doesn’t exist at all in the .war file. Problem is - this is my first webapp on this hosting provider - there are no other apps…

I will try to reach the service of the hosting provider and get back to you.

This is good and what is required by XWiki too! :slight_smile: See https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/

I am just about giving up now. I finally figured out where I should put the files so that tomcat can pick stuff up, when deployment seems to fail and support gives me this response:

Deployment fails with:

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (“java.lang.RuntimePermission” “accessClassInPackage.org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web”)

Access to this package can NOT be granted as tomcat developers have explicitly forbidden access to it.
We offer shared Tomcat hosting and can host only applications which can work with Tomcat’s security manager enabled. For more information see the “Tomcat help” link in the Plesk control panel

Got anything to point me towards?

Reply from support regarding the security stuff…

In order to guarantee the isolation between the apps in the shared container we can NOT grant any of:

permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "accessClassInPackage.org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web";
permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "createClassLoader";
permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "setContextClassLoader";

Thus, even though they explicitely advertised with “xwiki hosting” it is not possible in their environment.
Bummer

ok it seems you’re trying to deploy xwiki in a shared Tomcat container but indeed XWiki doesn’t support that I think and the required security permissions seem to prove it. It needs its own Tomcat instance.

I’ll add the info to the installation requirements. I think it’s the first time I see this need to use a shared container :slight_smile:

Sorry about that.

No problem, I only think it is kind of weird that they put it directly in their advertisment and then don’t support it.

I am about to get a vServer and put it on there.