Approval mechanism suggestions?

We’re toying with using xWiki so folks can submit re-usable IT patterns that can be used w/in the company that can then be iterated on by the user community. However, we need some light approval baked into this process so folks know the right group “approves” of this pattern being used within the company. And when major changes are made, those are approved, too.

I looked into the Publication Workflow Application but the reject functionality seems like it’s been broken for quite some time & the overall experience seems a bit clunky.

As a workaround, we had the idea to create a template where we force a specific tag & a warning box with a particular message in it that only certain people with the right level of access would be able to change. This way, we can easily find patterns that have been submitted around this topic & that require approval. This takes care of new patterns but admittedly falls short of the scenario when someone makes a change to something that’s already been approved.

My Questions

1. Can you offer up a solution for how I can create a template with a forced tag and/or a warning box with a specific message that only a select group of people have access to change?
  2. Do you have any other suggestions for how we might be able to satisfy the approval requirement?