12.10.2 - Extension Changes / Incorrect Home Page / Admin Account Issue

I just upgraded from 12.10.1 to 12.10.2 and something went terribly wrong. During the Distribution Wizard process, I got a message about many of my extensions were no longer necessary (or something, I should make better notes when I see screens I don’t recognize). I was then told that some extensions could be removed and others would be migrated to “top-level” extensions (again, not sure of the wording).

After that, it was indicated that many of my extensions needed updating, which I did, which all went fine, except for 3 (LDAP being one of them), and those 3 gave me an admin accessed denied message. I closed the browser and reopened it, then did check for updates again, which showed no updates were available.

Finally, and this all took a very long time, I was at the Home page…except it’s not my Home page, it’s the default Home page:

Anyway, I can see the actual Home page in the History section, but I can’t roll it back as now my account is no longer an admin!!!

I am just going to roll all of this back (database and files), then wait for feedback before I do the upgrade again.

Successfully, rolled back to 12.10.1. Will wait for feedback before I try again.

@laurin1 This is really weird. About “I got a message about many of my extensions were no longer necessary”, I don’t think this is new in 12.10.2 so it’s weird you didn’t get it before when you upgraded to 12.10.1 for example.

Do you know the steps/setup we could use to reproduce your problem?

Like I said, I didn’t capture the message well, but I’m going to try again, probably this weekend and if it happens again, I’ll let you know in greater detail

However, it was not just about removing extensions, I’ve gotten that before. Also, the message said something about migrating the reset to “top-level extensions”. What does that mean? Also, it showed updates to almost every extension we use (several pages of updates). Then there was the fact that 3 of them failed due to the fact that my account was no longer an admin.

Doing this again right now. First thing I realize is the last time, I did not get this screen last time:

Well, this time, no extensions were removed or updated.

Yea, so I have gotten the extensions to be removed message, maybe once, some time ago. I have never gotten the extensions to be migrated to top-level message. This time, I got neither.

Upgrading from 12.10.2 to 12.10.3 and looks like it’s happening again.

I am not going to post the whole list but appears to be every dependency installed. I don’t know what to do. I’m afraid to go forward, but our Wiki is down right now. If don’t get help ASAP, then I will just try making sure every box is unchecked and continue.

The 3 that are marked as “Installed by not valid” are:

Actually, I guess I can’t. I’m stuck or have to roll back the whole thing…again, which is very time-consuming.

Unchecked all boxes. Hit Continue and now this:

Hit Continue and all changes were applied as indicated. Updating Extensions now.

Now, all (except the 2 flavor extensions) are doing this:

Looks like everything is working. These 2 flavor extensions were updated and are installed still. Why was it telling me these were invalid?

I’ve seen this several times during my upgrades. The first time, I let the “orphans” be taken care of, and it resulted in a trashed wiki, just like yours and I had to restore from backups.

Now when it comes up, I just “skip” (skip? Ignore? I forget what I press so that nothing is done) and then continue my upgrade and it seems fine after that.

Whatever you do, don’t let xwiki move or delete the orphans.

It seems to be triggered by something specific about your extensions index but hard to tell what. Do you have several

@laurin1 would there be any chance that you allow me to get a zip of your <permdir>/extension/repository folder before the upgrade so that I try to reproduce your problem ? There should not be sensitive data in there since all it contains is the extension you installed and the name of the wikis where they are installed. If you be very easy to fix if I can reproduce the bug.

That folder even zipped is 130MB. How do you want me to send it to you?

Idea: use https://up1.xwikisas.com/ (it encrypts the content) and give the URL to Thomas privately?

I tried twice. Both times says “Encrypting” and once that reaches 100%:

And that was with a .7z file4 (130MB), if I try a .zip file (372MB), does not even pass the Encrypting stage.

Give me 5mn :slight_smile: